Ah, summertime... The perfect time for swimming, popsicles, and adventure. Of course if you live in Kansas City, this week you've likely been having indoor adventures (um, 108 degree heat index? I could live without it). So if your kids are going stir-crazy from being stuck indoors, I have an idea for you. It's fun - and yummy! Couldn't get much better, right?
Some of you may remember the Rice Krispies Making Memories Easter Challenge (hosted by Rice Krispies® and The Motherhood) that I participated in this spring. Some blogger friends and I showed you how to make the delicious Kettle Krispies treat - and it was so much fun! I'm happy to tell you that Kristen from Dine and Dish, Kelly from Kansas City Mamas, and Jenn from SuperJenn and I have come up with another fun Rice Krispies® creation for you!
We're actually competing against three other teams across the U.S. for this challenge to create the best Summer Memories Rice Krispie® recipe (you can view all the entries at The Motherhood Rice Krispies® Circle) - and we're going to need your help to win (more info on that later)!
Our unique recipe is perfect for summer fun - it gives our favorite snack a fruity and tangy twist! Who wouldn't love a Rice Krispies® watermelon?
In addition to being really cute, it's a project that is simple enough for the kids to do, too! They're sure to love coloring the Rice Krispies® and forming the watermelon. If you need more than just watermelon at your indoor picnic, why not bring along a few burgers, too?
Rice Krispies Tangy Watermelon Treat
1 bag marshmallows
1 bag strawberry flavored marshmallows
½ cup butter, plus extra for greasing
8 cups of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies
1 packet watermelon-cherry drink mix
1 packet lime drink mix
Raisins or chocolate chips for garnish
1. Grease one 9” round cake pan and set aside.
2. Place four cups of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies in a large bowl.
3. Melt ¼ cup of butter in a large sauce pan over low heat. Add regular marshmallows and stir till melted and well blended. And then cook two minutes longer. Stir in lime drink mix and stir till well blended.
4. Pour marshmallow mixture over Rice Krispies and stir till well coated.
5. Using a butter spatula, press mixture around the outer rim of cake pan to desired to width (about one to two inches.)
1. Place four cups of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies in a large bowl.
2. Melt ¼ cup of butter in a large sauce pan over low heat. Add strawberry marshmallows and stir till melted and well blended. Then cook two minutes longer. Stir in watermelon-cherry drink mix and stir till well blended.
3. Pour marshmallow mixture over Rice Krispies and stir till well coated.
4. Using a butter spatula, press mixture into the remaining area of cake pan.
5. Once cool, add raisins or chocolate chips for garnish.
No picnic would be complete without ants. Thankfully ours are a pretty cute variety (and don't tell, but they taste yummy too...hehe)!
What's in it for you? How about a chance to win a $100 prepaid gift card? You can enter to win here at My Kansas City Mommy, plus each of my teammates is also hosting a separate giftcard giveaway - make sure you visit their sites as well! This giveaway is generously sponsored by Rice Krispies® and The Motherhood. This giveaway will end on July 25 at 11:59 PM Central time.
To enter the giveaway:
This is a different format than my other current giveaways. Please leave one comment for your mandatory entry, as well as all optional extra entries.
Leave a comment on this post - tell me your favorite summer activity or memory!
You can earn extra entries for doing the following (please leave a comment for each):
* "Like" Rice Krispies on Facebook - leave your FB name in your comment
* Subscribe to My Kansas City Mommy's feed or email subscription
* Publicly follow My Kansas City Mommy with Google Friend Connect
* "Like" My Kansas City Mommy on Facebook - leave your FB name in your comment
* Follow My Kansas City Mommy on Twitter - leave your Twitter handle in your comment
* Tweet this: Check out this #RiceKrispies Picnic and enter to #win $100 Visa GC! Ends 7/25. Enter #giveaway http://t.co/iAo6fV8 via @MyKCMommy Tweet (leave a comment with the link to your tweet)
Make sure you visit the blogs of my team members to enter to win their giveaways as well!
Kristen - Dine & Dish
Kelly - Kansas City Mamas
Jenn - Super Jenn
I am working on this project in conjunction with The Motherhood and Rice Krispies®. I have been compensated for time and materials and may win a prize should our team win over the competition. Giveaway will end at 11:59 PM on July 25, 2011. Winner will have 24 hours to respond via email or different winner will be chosen.
Abbreviated Rules. No Purchase Necessary. Begins no earlier than 12:00:00 AM (ET) on 6/14/11 and ends no later than 11:59:59 PM (ET) on 7/26/11. For complete Official Rules, go to http://web.mediacdt.com/docs/RKGiveawaySummer.pdf - Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Subject to complete Official Rules. Void where prohibited. Sponsor: The Motherhood; http://www.themotherhood.com/.
For more information, you can read My Kansas City Mommy's Giveaway Policy.
Want to keep up with all of the free stuff? Subscribe now!